Friday, April 3, 2009

Dr M: Don’t Bail Out Failed Banks

By CHOI TUCK WO


LONDON: Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has called for the closure of banks that caused the global financial crisis instead of bailing them out.

The former prime minister lambasted the West for pumping in billions of dollars to resuscitate these “failed institutions”.

He said they should be allowed to go under as bankers were rewarding themselves with fat bonuses rather than be punished for their inefficiencies.

“Let’s start new banks. We don’t need to have banks with those names anymore as they are a disgrace,” he said in his talk ‘The Alternative G20 Agenda: Real Financial Fairness’ at the Royal Commonwealth Society here on Wednesday.

More than 200 people attended the event on the eve of the G20 summit.

In his usual hard-hitting style, Dr Mahathir said there should be no attempt by governments to rebuild institutions which have failed.

“If they must dole out money, give it to the people who suffered actual losses due to the banks’ failure, but not to the bankers,” he said.

He questioned the logic of rewarding bankers who caused the economic crisis, saying those who created trouble were normally put in prison.

Dr Mahathir also took a dig at hedge funds, saying their borrowings should be limited and not be 20 or 30 times more than the investments.

“Imagine if a hedge fund were to borrow US$30mil and trades on US$20mil based on a US$1mil investment, the profits would be far bigger than that of the original investment,” he said.

He said a stop should be put in creating money out of nothing, adding everyone must come clean instead of obtaining false wealth through shuffling papers. “Most of the wealth comes from playing around with money. You can sell currencies and make tons of money,” he said, adding they were not derived solely from producing goods and services anymore.

He called for a review of the international monetary, financial and banking system which had suffered a systematic collapse due to gross abuses.

Dr Mahathir said the global community could elect people to represent the differing economies and work together in curbing financial abuses.

“If we’re going to be fair – real financial fairness – we should give everybody a say in the formulation of a new banking, financial and monetary system.”

15 comments:

futurebucks said...

oh wow.. I always thought when one bank was almost bankrupt and the government bail the bank out, I thought it was because the society could not afford for the bank to go down. Then when Dr M said that "let's just make a new bank, a better one and let those banks got their punishment", it's like hey~, that's right. it's should be an easy task for a government to just open a bank and hopefully by this way, bankers learn not to perform the same mistake.

Anonymous said...

Well I acquiesce in but I contemplate the post should prepare more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read that post. Thanx for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

I will not agree on it. I over warm-hearted post. Especially the designation attracted me to study the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Well I acquiesce in but I about the list inform should have more info then it has.

free financial freedom said...

Now who was it that handed out mega projects to cronies who in turn happily ’shuffled the papers’ to their contractor friends thus ‘creating money out of nothing’?

Anonymous said...

Rather nice place you've got here. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Opulently I to but I dream the collection should secure more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Great story you got here. I'd like to read something more concerning that matter. Thnx for sharing that info.

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

nice read. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view

Anonymous said...

Good post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

Anonymous said...

This is my first post I'd like to thank you for such a terrific made forum!
I was sure this is a nice way to make my first post!
The best way grow wealth it is usually a wise idea to start a savings or investing system as early in life as obtainable. But don't fear if you have not began saving your money until later on in life. As a consequence of hard work, that is exploring the best investment vehicles for your money you can slowly but surely increase your finances so that it amounts to a sizable amount by the period you hope to retire. Observe all of the applicable asset classes from stocks to real estate as investments for your money. A smartly diversified portfolio of investments in various asset classes will make your money climb through the years.

-Clare Grafton
[url=http://urwealthy.com]currency exchange rates[/url]